Tuleburg Press celebrates #GivingTuesday and pledges to use the funds raised to support Stockton’s Youth Slam Poetry Collective, With Our Words.
Our goal of $5,000 will send the team to Brave New Voices next year. To make a tax-deductible contribute to Tuleburg Press’ #GivingTuesday initiative, click on the donation button.
In the past:
- WOW has attended Brave New Voices, a youth poetry festival since 2008.
- Competed in the Modesto Chill List event, where four of the best slam poetry teams in the country competed for a $2,000 prize.
- Participated in the California Youth Spoken Word Project, Youth Speaks, which produces poetry slams, festivals, and reading series.
- Is involved with The Bigger Picture Initiative, which raises awareness about Type 2 diabetes among black and brown youth. Their video gained huge recognition and was written up in JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association.
- Attended the Youth Empowerment Summit (YES) whose aims are to inspire youth, youth advocates, staff, and leadership to form their own strategies to create change and improve the lives of California’s disconnected, runaway and homeless youth.
- Observed Transgender Day of Remembrance, an annual observance on November 20 that honors the memory of those whose lives were lost in acts of anti-transgender violence.
These young writers, performers, and activists deserve recognition for their positive work with your dollars.
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving that harnesses the collective power of individuals, communities and organizations to encourage philanthropy and to celebrate generosity worldwide. #GivingTuesday takes place on November 27th and kicks off the giving season by inspiring people to collaborate and give back.
For more details about the #GivingTuesday movement, visit the #GivingTuesday website.
Tuleburg Press’ mission is to find, mentor, encourage, and publish writers of all ages and genres who write about our Valley experiences.